W. Dundee to switch some traffic lights to LEDs
By Erin Sauder For The Courier-News January 25, 2012 9:44AM
Updated: February 27, 2012 8:32AM
WEST DUNDEE — In an effort to go more green, the village will partner with the Illinois Department of Transportation to replace the traffic signals on Routes 31 and 72 from incandescent bulbs to LEDs.
IDOT officials said the LED lights will lower energy consumption, reduce maintenance and enhance visibility.
West Dundee Village Manager Joe Cavallaro told village board members that battery backup also is included in the program, which will allow traffic signals to operate during temporary short-term power outages.
State funds will cover 90 percent of the program’s cost, with the remaining 10 percent to be split based on the proportionate share of the approach leg jurisdiction required.
For example, “(Routes) 31 and 72 are completely the state, but with Route 31 and Strom Drive, that’s half the state and half the village,” Cavallaro said.
He estimates the village’s share for the program will be about $13,000.
Cavallaro said the project is beneficial to West Dundee.
“The village has a certain amount of energy cost obligations, so in the long-term it’s a financial benefit,” he said.
The village board is expected to vote on the cost-sharing portion of the plan at its next meeting.
Because of limited funding, IDOT is targeting traffic signals on state routes in Kane County for a March installation and proceeding in other counties once more funding becomes available.