suntimes
SURGE 
Weather Updates

12/11 — This week’s field notes

storyidforme: 22478371
tmspicid: 8385730
fileheaderid: 3790433

Dale’s mailbag

‘‘I was with a couple of friends at Sibley Pheasant Habitat Area [earlier this month]. We could have used a couple of more guys to cover that ground. That is a beautiful piece of property. We saw about 25 birds, seven roosters, and harvested three. We tried to be as stealthy as possible approaching the field from the northeast lot, but birds started to disperse as soon as we started walking. I can understand why it is the ‘holy grail’ of public hunting for upland game.’’

—John Saban

Sibley is the ‘‘holy grail’’ of public land for upland game hunting in Illinois and why I, like thousands of others, apply for a permit to it every year. So far, I never have drawn a permit.

Updated: January 12, 2012 8:15AM

WILD OF THE WEEK

David Lehman e-mailed: “I ‘shot’ these four bucks [last month] from the North Branch bike trail along the Chicago River between Edgebrook and Dempster in Morton Grove. All within about 30 minutes of each other around 8:30 a.m. I was out [the day before] and saw five other big bucks, one with only half a rack, but did not have my camera. There are so many in the woods that they ought to open it up to bowhunters. You can get within 20 feet of these practically domesticated animals.’’ He’s right about the need for bowhunting in many forest preserves around Chicago outdoors.

WILD TIMES

FISH GATHERINGS

Tuesday: Chicagoland Muskie Hunters chapter of Muskies Inc., with members’ tales of fishing adventures and free pizza, 7:30 p.m., Park Ridge VFW. Contact Dean Rosset at (847) 677-0017 or dlrosset@sbcglobal.net.

Wednesday: Guide Todd Berg on fishing Lake Geneva, Fox River Valley chapter of Muskies Inc., 7 p.m., Schaumburg Golf Club, frvmuskie.com.

ILLINOIS PERMITS/SEASONS

Sunday: Muzzleloader deer season ends.

Tuesday: Late-winter and CWD deer permits become available over the counter.

THE LAST WORD

‘‘Penguins on ice! Out front! We have a good half-inch in front, but edges aren’t there yet. Under the bridge [is] wide-open.’’

Marcy Paschky, with the latest ice update Thursday from Hermann’s Lowlife Bar & Grill at Nielsen’s Channel off the Fox River in Port Barrington

THE BIG NUMBER

3rd — Ranking of hunting with firearms among the safest activities, according to the National Shooting Sports Foundation. It trailed only camping and billiards/pool. Tackle football was the most unsafe activity with 5.27 injuries per 100 participants; hunting with firearms had .05 injuries per 100 participants.

© 2014 Sun-Times Media, LLC. All rights reserved. This material may not be copied or distributed without permission. For more information about reprints and permissions, visit www.suntimesreprints.com. To order a reprint of this article, click here.