suntimes
SPOTTY 
Weather Updates

07/10: Fish of the Week

storyidforme: 51907533
tmspicid: 19258750
fileheaderid: 8743391

FISH Of the WEEK

Fishing solo, Tom Jasica landed the fish of his life — a 20-pound, 35.5-inch skamania
steelhead — while drifting shrimp on 8-pound line about 1:30 p.m. Friday from Salt Creek in Portage, Ind.

Jasica, who lives in Ukrainian Village, started the morning on Trail Creek in Michigan City, Ind., but the deep hole was packed with fishermen. Skamania peak in July on Indiana streams. Eventually, he moved to Salt. One fisherman was there, fishing the rapids.

‘‘He was drifting shrimp and hooked into a good-sized steelhead before vacating the spot to run errands,’’ Jasica emailed. ‘‘I began fishing around the rapids, drifting shrimp. There was not much movement, and I had been fishing for about an hour when my float took a nosedive toward the end of my drift.

‘‘I played the fish for about 20 minutes. It made several runs where my reel peeled off line. Fortunately, the large fish stopped all of its runs just short of the big log that stretches across the creek. Every time the fish ended a run, I reeled in line furiously to try and pick up the ground I had lost and to keep the fish as far away from the log as possible.’’

© 2014 Sun-Times Media, LLC. All rights reserved. This material may not be copied or distributed without permission. For more information about reprints and permissions, visit www.suntimesreprints.com. To order a reprint of this article, click here.