suntimes
DYNAMIC 
Weather Updates

05/23: Fish of the Week

storyidforme: 30927756
tmspicid: 11243727
fileheaderid: 5134479

Updated: July 2, 2012 10:01AM

Joe Collette of Hoffman Estates made a couple of casts at Independence Grove with a classic spring bass lure, a black-and-blue jig, then hooked up. But it was a muskie, not a bass.

‘‘He came out of the water, it was like a tarpon,’’ Collette said. ‘‘He came out four or five times.’’

He had no net and was
using 10-pound
monofilament.

‘‘I got it up to shore,’’ he said. ‘‘I couldn’t believe it. I was really shook up and happy. All my years of muskie
fishing, it was so sweet because it was
unexpected. If the jig wasn’t in the corner of his mouth, I would never have caught it.’’

Collette has fished muskie for 30 years, from Canada and back, and has a reproduction of a 52.5-inch muskie he caught from Lac Vieux
Desert in Wisconsin in 1999 on his wall.

But to catch a 47-inch muskie while bass fishing for the first time with a group on an April outing at a forest preserve lake in Lake County is unique.

© 2014 Sun-Times Media, LLC. All rights reserved. This material may not be copied or distributed without permission. For more information about reprints and permissions, visit www.suntimesreprints.com. To order a reprint of this article, click here.