suntimes
GRINCHY 
Weather Updates

1/25: Fish of the Week

storyidforme: 24691568
tmspicid: 9039059
fileheaderid: 4114088

Updated: February 26, 2012 8:14AM

Like all of us, Carlton Lasker and Ray Hinton got a late start to ice fishing, finally getting out Friday. It started slowly on the Illinois side of Wolf Lake, with a few crappie and a perch.

‘‘Then it died again, and .  .  . I was thinking about some of the great fishermen who showed me the die-hard ropes when I was coming up,’’ Hinton emailed. ‘‘I smiled and thought how I missed them and how great it was when they were here.

‘‘In an instant, Carl hollered, ‘Big northern! He went past the hole!’ I looked approximately 60 yards in front of me, and my flag was up!

“I decided to give him a hand. I thought it was a snake until he tried to bring him to the hole. I knew this was going to happen: Carl uses a 5-inch auger — lol. After a couple of minutes and three attempts to bring the fish up, I clamped hold of his gill plate and pulled the little pig through the hole.’’

Then Hinton went back for his flag and finally landed his northern pike. Lasker (shown holding both pike) was using a Rat Finkee and minnow; Hinton was using a golden roach.

‘‘For a man who had a kidney transplant, heart surgery and many other complications, I take my hat off to this die-hard fisherman, Carlton Lasker, for not giving up,’’ Hinton said.

© 2014 Sun-Times Media, LLC. All rights reserved. This material may not be copied or distributed without permission. For more information about reprints and permissions, visit www.suntimesreprints.com. To order a reprint of this article, click here.