suntimes
LABORIOUS 
Weather Updates

’92 BEYOND COMP-AIR

storyidforme: 33499724
tmspicid: 12243564
fileheaderid: 5583329

Updated: August 14, 2012 6:38AM

It seems Kobe Bryant always wants to be like Mike. Maybe even better. 

Bryant boasted the other day that the current U.S. Olympic basketball team could have defeated Michael Jordan’s 1992 Dream Team. 

Jordan’s initial reaction: laughter. 

Jordan told the Associated Press there’s “no comparison.”

“For him to compare those two teams is not one of the smarter things he ever could have done,” Jordan said before playing in a celebrity golf tournament in Charlotte, N.C.

Jordan said the 1992 team, which included 11 future Hall of Famers and won its six Olympic games by an average of more than 43 points en route to capturing the gold medal, was a better overall team largely because of the experience it put on the floor.

“I heard Kobe say we were not athletic,” a smiling Jordan said as he sat in a golf cart puffing on his cigar while waiting to tee off.

“But we were smart. He said we were too old, but I was 29 and in the prime of my career. [Scottie Pippen] was 26 or 27, [Charles] Barkley was 29, Patrick [Ewing] was 29 and Chris Mullin was 29. Almost everybody was still in their 20s.”

© 2014 Sun-Times Media, LLC. All rights reserved. This material may not be copied or distributed without permission. For more information about reprints and permissions, visit www.suntimesreprints.com. To order a reprint of this article, click here.