Weather Updates

Late rally helps Wolves secure shootout win over Monsters

Ty Rattie (left) celebrates with Corey Locke after scoring first-period goal. | Ross Dettman/Wolves

Ty Rattie (left) celebrates with Corey Locke after scoring a first-period goal. | Ross Dettman/Wolves

storyidforme: 64101905
tmspicid: 21344660
fileheaderid: 10029299

Updated: April 28, 2014 10:41AM

The Wolves’ all-star goalie didn’t have one of his best nights. Their defense was a bit ragged and they fell behind by two goals late in the third period.

They still managed to win.

Ty Rattie and Adam Cracknell scored in a shootout and Jake Allen stopped all four attempts, and the Wolves rallied to beat the Lake Erie Monsters 6-5. The Wolves (38-19-5-3) pulled to within four points of idle Grand Rapids for the division lead, and avoided their second regulation home loss since Dec. 7.

“I like our poise. Going into the playoffs, because God knows what can happen in the playoffs,” Wolves coach John Anderson said. “So if we have that type of poise and belief in ourselves that’s really good.”

The Wolves really needed that poise belief.

Trailing 5-3 after Guillaume Desbiens scored with 5:44 remaining in the game, Keith Aucoin cut the deficit in half with 3:04 left. Then 66 seconds later, Michael Davies tied it at 5, sending the game to overtime and eventually the shootout.

“I think there’s zero issues or confidence,” Allen said. “I knew we still had a chance.”

At times it didn’t look like that. And it didn’t help that Allen wasn’t having one of his better games.

Allen, who started the day as the league’s leader in wins, allowed five goals on 35 shots, surrendering five scores for the first time since Oct. 27. He also made a costly turnover with 10.2 seconds left in the second period when his pass was intercepted in the slot by Lake Erie’s Michael Schumacher, who hit an empty net to give the Monsters a 4-3 lead.

That wasn’t the only painful moment Wednesday for Allen.

With 2:45 left in the first period, the blade of Andrew Agozzino’s stick got through Allen’s mask and cut him above the left eye, requiring the attention of trainer Kevin Kacer before the goalie could continue.

Of course, Allen did stay in and he was a part of the Wolves extending their points streak to five.

“He made some big saves at the right time, though,” Anderson said. “That’s kind of a questionable thing. He made some big saves, he made a nice pass for them – it was like on the tape.

“But, hey, you know, you know what happens sometimes. It’s one of those things.”

© 2014 Sun-Times Media, LLC. All rights reserved. This material may not be copied or distributed without permission. For more information about reprints and permissions, visit To order a reprint of this article, click here.