Weather Updates

Wolves beat Marlies in shootout

The Wolves’ Nathan Longpre tries beMarlies puck Friday Allstate Arena. | Ross Dettman~Wolves

The Wolves’ Nathan Longpre tries to beat the Marlies to the puck Friday at Allstate Arena. | Ross Dettman~Wolves

storyidforme: 46642480
tmspicid: 17283596
fileheaderid: 7787956

Updated: April 24, 2013 6:23AM

For the last couple of weeks, the Wolves have been actively seeking a remedy for their inconsistent offense.

Coach Scott Arniel might have found a couple when the Wolves played the Toronto Marlies on Friday at Allstate Arena.

Left wing Brett Sterling returned to the lineup after missing over two months with a lower body injury, and defenseman Danny Groulx made his debut after an AHL loan swap between Wolves parent-club Vancouver and San Jose. Both players were major contributors offensively in a 4-3 shootout victory.

The Wolves won the shootout 1-0, snapping a three-game losing streak.

In his first game since Jan. 18, Sterling scored twice while Groulx added two assists and was on the ice for all three Wolves goals. Groulx came to Chicago after the Canucks sent defenseman Derek Joslin to the Worcester Sharks, San Jose’s AHL affiliate.

“Sterls, he give us a legitimate goal-scorer,” Arniel said. “We’ve often talked about if you have those guys that are just pure goal-scorers, they make such a difference. They only need a couple opportunities and the game’s over.”

The Wolves nearly blew the opportunity to net two points in the standings.

After taking a two-goal lead into the second intermission, the Wolves had a chance to put the game away when they went on the power play 2:14 into the third period.

But instead of adding to their lead, the Wolves allowed a shorthanded goal to right wing Greg Scott after he stripped wing Darren Haydar of the puck.

Morgan Reilly’s goal at the 14:26 mark of the third period sent the game to overtime.

The Wolves jumped out to a quick lead to start the game. Michael Davies scored his 13th goal of the season at the 2:00 mark of the first period, giving the Wolves a 1-0 lead heading into the first intermission.

Sterling extended the lead to 2-0 when he scored on a power play 4:17 into the third period.

The Wolves were solid in the defensive zone through most of the second period until Toronto right wing Spencer Abbott gave the Marlies their first goal when he converted on a power play at the 14:07 mark.

Sterling responded with his second goal 3:41 later, which gave the Wolves a 3-1 advantage. Groulx’ assists came on both of Sterling’s goals.

© 2014 Sun-Times Media, LLC. All rights reserved. This material may not be copied or distributed without permission. For more information about reprints and permissions, visit To order a reprint of this article, click here.