Weather Updates

Nathan Longpre keys Wolves’ win over IceHogs with two goals

Forward AntRod(15) works against IceHogs defenseman Ryan Stantduring Wolves’ victory Sunday Allstate Arena. | Steve Woltmann~Chicago Wolves

Forward Anton Rodin (15) works against IceHogs defenseman Ryan Stanton during the Wolves’ victory Sunday at Allstate Arena. | Steve Woltmann~Chicago Wolves

storyidforme: 38497125
tmspicid: 14154191
fileheaderid: 6491685

Updated: November 16, 2012 6:22AM

The third period of the game Sunday against the Rockford IceHogs might have helped some Wolves get their individual seasons rolling.

But the team might be wise to avoid the offensive slugfest of the final period.

After shutting out the IceHogs through the first two periods of their 5-3 victory, the Wolves traded goals in a six-goal third period.

The first two periods, which saw the Wolves jump out to a 2-0 lead, are more representative of the type of hockey they prefer to play.

“We want to be aggressive all year, but you never just want to play run-and-gun style,” left wing Brett Sterling said. “When they get going defensively, we’ve got to bear down. We’ve got to take it to them. But we can’t just abandon the defensive game.”

Andrew Ebbett broke a scoreless tie when he found the net on a wrister from the top of the right circle at 7:46 of the first period. Nathan Longpre added a short-handed goal at 7:45 of the second period.

Throughout training camp, coach Scott Arniel has encouraged Longpre to be aggressive on the penalty kill.

“[Longpre is a] real valuable guy you can use in a lot of situations and showed his scoring touch,” Arniel said. “Great short-handed goal.

“He works hard. He’s a great skater, good speed.”

Sterling, who assisted on Ebbett’s goal, scored at 2:44 of the third, giving the Wolves a 3-0 lead before the tenor of the game changed.

Jeremy Morin and Marcus Kruger brought the IceHogs to within one, scoring goals less than two minutes apart.

Longpre tallied again at 9:46 of the third before Morin responded with his second goal at 10:15. Bill Sweatt’s goal at 17:16 gave the Wolves (2-0-0-0) a two-goal margin and put the game out of reach.

The Wolves would have run away with the game if it weren’t for a second consecutive 0-for-6 showing on the power play.

“We shouldn’t have let them get back in it,” Longpre said. “We gave them motivation to get back in the game. We got a couple penalties and let them back into it. But we kept our foot on the gas.”

The Wolves’ next game is Wednesday at Allstate Arena against the Peoria Rivermen.

© 2014 Sun-Times Media, LLC. All rights reserved. This material may not be copied or distributed without permission. For more information about reprints and permissions, visit To order a reprint of this article, click here.