Blackhawks’ draft pick-by-pick
BY ADAM L. JAHNS firstname.lastname@example.org June 23, 2012 8:18PM
Updated: July 25, 2012 6:51AM
Here’s a look at the Blackhawks’ 2012 draft:
No. 18: LW Teuvo Teravainen
• Jokerit (Finland). Teravainen, 17, will head back to Finland next season and hopes to increase his 5-11, 165-pound frame. GM Stan Bowman described him as “a dynamic offensive player.”
No. 48: D Dillon Fournier
• Rouyn-Noranda (Quebec Major Junior Hockey League). The former first overall pick of the QMJHL, Dillon said he patterns his game after Duncan Keith. Fournier has size at 6-2.
No. 79: RW Chris Calnan
• Noble & Greenough High School (Mass.). Calnan (6-2, 190 pounds) is the nephew of former Hawks star Jeremy Roenick. A tough, gritty forward, Calnan will head to Boston College in 2013.
Traded to the San Jose Sharks for the 191st pick and a fourth-round pick in 2013.
No. 139: LW Garret Ross
• Saginaw (Ontario Hockey League). Described as a “warrior” and an “aggressive, in-your-face” player. Hawks scouting director Mark Kelley said the team has scouted him for three years.
No. 149: D Travis Brown
• Moose Jaw (Western Hockey League). Kelley said he’s a little bit “behind the curve” but rose in the Hawks’ ratings.
No. 169: C Vincent Hinostroza
• Waterloo (U.S. Hockey League). Bartlett native said it was a dream to get drafted by the Hawks. He’ll play one more year for Waterloo before joining Notre Dame.
No. 191: G Brandon Whitney
• Victoriaville (QMJHL). Whitney is a huge goalie, listed at 6-5, 193 pounds. Scouting reports say his technique needs to improve, but he’s described as athletic.
No. 199: G Matt Tomkins
• Sherwood Park (Atlantic Junior Hockey League). Hawks expect him to emerge in 3-4 years after some seasoning at Ohio State.