Weather Updates

Hawks' Andrew Shaw suspended 3 games for hit on Mike Smith

Mike Smith Raffi Torres

Mike Smith, Raffi Torres

storyidforme: 29012950
tmspicid: 10491910
fileheaderid: 4826606

Updated: May 18, 2012 9:56AM

The NHL has suspended Blackhawks rookie Andrew Shaw for three games for his collision with Phoenix Coyotes goalie Mike Smith in Game 2, the NHL announced on Tuesday.

Shaw had a phone hearing with NHL disciplinarian Brendan Shanahan at 1 p.m. Monday for his head-to-mask collision with Smith in Game 2.

‘‘I’ll respect the outcome,’’ Shaw said after practice Monday. ‘‘It’s their decision. They know what’s appropriate.’’

Smith finished Game 2 after taking the hit, which included a spinning, glove-throwing fall to the ice some saw as embellishment on his part. Shaw, meanwhile, received a five-minute major penalty for charging and a game misconduct.

NHL rules state that when a major penalty and a game misconduct are assessed against a player who committed a foul that resulted in an injury to the head of an opponent, an automatic fine is imposed and the player can be subject to supplemental discipline.

Smith has yet to speak with the media about his run-in with Shaw, saying only through Coyotes staff that he’s 100 percent. But he didn’t practice Monday in Arizona before the Coyotes left for Chicago.

Coyotes coach Dave Tippett insisted Smith was fine when he met with the media Monday, but it’s possible the NHL is waiting to see whether Smith, who has a concussion history, is able to play in Game 3 before deciding Shaw’s fate. Shanahan always has taken into account injuries when determining suspensions.

In other words, if Smith can’t play, look for Shaw to be suspended. If he can, a fine or a shorter suspension should be expected.

Some Hawks think Shaw already has served enough time, considering he was kicked out 7:11 into the second period of Game 2, while Smith stayed in.

‘‘We lost a player for the rest of the game, and they didn’t,’’ captain Jonathan Toews said. ‘‘I don’t think the intent was there at all. [Shaw’s] effort to get out of the way and to avoid that head contact was enough. Their goaltender is healthy; he’s fine. He played well for the rest of the game. That’s the main thing.’’

Shaw watched a replay of the play and said he didn’t have a feel for whether he would be suspended. He has maintained he didn’t try to hit Smith and was trying to avoid getting hit by Smith’s stick.

‘‘I’m upset I made contact; I didn’t try to,’’ Shaw said. ‘‘I tried getting out of the way. It’s just that last-minute [instance] of his head coming forward that kind of looked bad.

‘‘You never go out there and try to hurt somebody deliberately. . . . I’m just glad he’s OK.’’

© 2014 Sun-Times Media, LLC. All rights reserved. This material may not be copied or distributed without permission. For more information about reprints and permissions, visit To order a reprint of this article, click here.