Weather Updates

Canucks 3, Blackhawks 2: Daniel Sedin scores winner in OT

Chicago Blackhawks goalie Corey Crawford left stops Vancouver Canucks' David Booth during first period an NHL hockey game Vancouver British

Chicago Blackhawks goalie Corey Crawford, left, stops Vancouver Canucks' David Booth during the first period of an NHL hockey game in Vancouver, British Columbia, on Tuesday, Jan. 31, 2012. (AP Photo/The Canadian Press, Darryl Dyck)

storyidforme: 25050421
tmspicid: 9156779
fileheaderid: 4177585
Article Extras
Story Image

Updated: March 2, 2012 8:21AM

VANCOUVER, British Columbia — If Brendan Morrison needed a lesson about what it means to be a Blackhawk, he’d have been hard-pressed to find a better place to begin that education than the stadium he called home for eight seasons.

One of the most beloved players ever to take the ice for the Vancouver Canucks at Rogers Arena, Morrison returned Tuesday to the city where he still lives during the offseason, but as a newly added member of one of the Hawks’ most bitter rivals.

‘‘It was a tough game, a hard-fought game, a playoff-type game,’’ Morrison said.

This wasn’t like the four-goal blowouts the Hawks and Canucks traded in their previous two meetings this season. The Hawks’ 3-2 overtime loss was much more like the intense postseason battles the teams have waged the last three years — even if the hostility didn’t openly manifest itself on the ice.

‘‘It was fun,’’ Morrison said. ‘’Disappointing to lose, but I think our team did a lot of good things tonight. It’s the start of a long trip here for us, so we started off with a lot of good positives.’’

Daniel Sedin’s game-winner was his franchise-record 10th overtime goal for the Canucks, snapping the
record previously held by Morrison.

Viktor Stalberg and Jamal Mayers scored for the Hawks. Stalberg’s goal was his 15th of the season and his sixth in the last nine games.

Stalberg had a chance to win the game on a breakaway in overtime, but he appeared to be slashed by Canucks defenseman Dan Hamhuis on a non-call by the referees.

‘‘I don’t think there’s any discussion about it — if they look at it again, they’ll see it’s a clear-cut penalty shot,” Stalberg said. ‘‘I had a breakaway and he takes my hand out [with his stick] and stops me from making the move I want. I think that’s pretty much the definition of a penalty shot.’’

Cody Hodgson and Ryan Kesler also scored for the Canucks.

Hawks goalie Corey Crawford stopped 30 of 33 shots and helped his team weather the pressure in the first period before making a spectacular save on Henrik Sedin in overtime to keep the
Hawks alive.

‘‘I felt like we definitely played well enough to win tonight, and it’s definitely frustrating,’’ Crawford said. ‘‘I thought we played good. We controlled the second period.’’

The Hawks’ new second line was held scoreless in its first game together. Morrison’s only shot of the game was spectacularly saved by Cory Schneider (37 saves) — the stop of the night.

‘‘Hats off to him. He made a great save,’’ Morrison said. ‘‘I took my time with it and shot it hard where I wanted to. I just didn’t get it high enough. Desperation save.”

Patrick Sharp had three shots in 19:09 after missing eight games with what was believed to be a broken bone in his left wrist.

‘‘I don’t think our line
really generated a lot, [had] a couple chances tonight,” Morrison said.

Jonathan Toews, returning from his own wrist injury, left the ice and went to the locker room briefly during the first period but returned a short time later. He finished with five shots in 19:10.

‘‘I felt good,’’ Toews said. ‘‘But we made some good plays, unfortunately gave up two goals against our line. That’s something we need to be better at, those little turnovers in some dangerous areas. . . . We’ll have to be better than that next time.’’

© 2014 Sun-Times Media, LLC. All rights reserved. This material may not be copied or distributed without permission. For more information about reprints and permissions, visit To order a reprint of this article, click here.