suntimes
A-OK 
Weather Updates

Rush’s new owner could salvage season, TV contract

Updated: March 10, 2013 6:44AM



Under pressure to keep a television deal it signed with CBS Sports Network intact, the Arena Football League announced Friday that the Rush had been acquired by Star Rush Football LLC — eight days removed from the league terminating its relationship with former owner Julee White.

According to a source with intimate knowledge of the league, the AFL’s television deal with the network is contingent upon a team playing in Chicago, which is the league’s biggest media market.

David Staral, owner of Star Rush LLC, met with Allstate Arena general manager Pat Nagle on Wednesday to discuss the arena’s contract with the team. Nagle gave him a contract to review, but Staral hadn’t signed it as of Friday afternoon.

The news release on the league website states the Rush’s season opener is March 23 against the Iowa Barnstormers.

“[Staral is] going along like he understands the program, what we need,” Nagle said. “He thinks he can get it up and going. I personally don’t.

“It’s going to be very tough for them to get up and going for a March 23 home opener. Maybe this guy is ‘Superman.’ I don’t know if he can do it. I think he realizes it would be worse off for him, what he believes, to sit out this season.”

Nagle added that Staral has been businesslike in his approach and among the most professional of Rush owners.

The team’s home game June 14 against the San Antonio Talons would need to be rescheduled because Allstate Arena staff booked a Fleetwood Mac concert when it had not received a contract from White months ago.

Nagle also said a date in July would have to be rescheduled, but he did not have the date readily available.



© 2014 Sun-Times Media, LLC. All rights reserved. This material may not be copied or distributed without permission. For more information about reprints and permissions, visit www.suntimesreprints.com. To order a reprint of this article, click here.