Source says Mike Martz to leave Bears after season
By Neil Hayes email@example.com December 4, 2011 10:44PM
Bears offensive coordinator Mike Martz.
Updated: January 6, 2012 8:16AM
It’s highly unlikely offensive coordinator Mike Martz will return to the Bears in 2012, an NFL source said.
Martz has considered his departure from the Bears when his contract expires after this season a foregone conclusion because management offered him only a one-year extension after the team reached the NFC Championship Game last season.
Martz is making $1 million
per year, which is below the median for NFL offensive coordinators. Although it’s possible the Bears could
offer him a lucrative multiyear extension after this
season, that scenario is considered unlikely, the source said.
The underwhelming contract offer from the Bears and the dearth of head-coaching candidates at the college and NFL levels has Martz surveying the field for his next opportunity. Industry insiders claim a slew of firings at the pro and college levels in recent years has
reduced the pool of attractive head-coaching candidates. In such a climate, Martz might be in demand.
Martz acknowledged last season he wanted to be a head coach again. He refused to comment last week about being linked to openings at UCLA and Arizona State.
Martz’s nearly two seasons with the Bears have been controversial, as well as productive. The Bears’ offense wobbled at the beginning of last season and again at the start of this season
before hitting stride.
Martz’s big-play offense resulted in the Bears being the NFL’s quickest-scoring team last season, with their 58 scoring drives averaging
3 minutes, 2 seconds.
But Martz’s boom-and-bust approach also has been criticized because of high sack totals, a lack of balance between the run and the pass and his unorthodox play-