suntimes
GRACIOUS
Weather Updates

4 downs with Ditka

Jay Cutler Bears participates warmups before their preseasgame against PhiladelphiEagles Soldier Field.  |  Jonathan Daniel/Getty Images

Jay Cutler of the Bears participates in warmups before their preseason game against the Philadelphia Eagles at Soldier Field. | Jonathan Daniel/Getty Images

storyidforme: 70539549
tmspicid: 24899187
fileheaderid: 12502392
Article Extras
Story Image

Updated: September 18, 2014 6:32AM

Are you beginning to see Jay Cutler reach a certain level of comfort in his second season in coach Marc Trestman’s offense?

Honestly, it’s his job to feel comfortable in that offense. It’s his responsibility to learn that offense and understand what Marc wants out of him. As the leader of the offense, he has to do that. What I watched [Thursday], I thought he did a lot of really good things. His poise in the pocket is terrific, and his accuracy is as good as anybody’s in the league.

Cutler is 31 and always has been a middle-of-the-pack quarterback in the NFL. Can Trestman take him to an elite level with the top four or five quarterbacks in the league?

Marc can help him. He’s an outstanding coach and has a brilliant offensive mind. But Jay has to do it. He has to put the time and the work in, and he has to have the discipline to do it. He knows that. Can Marc make him? No. The only person that can make him is him. You can set up an offense to take advantage of his talent, and Marc has done that. But Jay has to perform on the field. That’s the bottom line.

Brandon Marshall is going to be a regular host on Showtime’s ‘‘Inside the NFL’’ during the season. As a coach, would you approve of this?

Not during the season, not if he has to leave Chicago. If he could do it by phone or remote, I wouldn’t have a problem. But I don’t think it would be comfortable for the coach to have a guy do that. That’s all.

The NFL revisited its policy on domestic violence and toughened its penalties.
Your thoughts?

It’s common sense. In society, you can’t get away with it. And you shouldn’t be able to get away with it just
because you’re a professional athlete. Actually, you should be punished more. The penalty should be much more than a suspension. Hit the guy where it really hurts — in his ability to work and his pocketbook. There’s no excuse for domestic violence. None. If you have a problem, go outside and walk around the block. If that doesn’t work, keep walking.

© 2014 Sun-Times Media, LLC. All rights reserved. This material may not be copied or distributed without permission. For more information about reprints and permissions, visit www.suntimesreprints.com. To order a reprint of this article, click here.