Ted Phillips says Bears made ‘strong offer’ to Matt Forte
BY SEAN JENSEN firstname.lastname@example.org March 26, 2012 11:08PM
Wideout Johnny Knox is “on schedule” in his recovery. | Nam Y. Huh~AP
Updated: April 28, 2012 8:15AM
PALM BEACH, Fla. — Team president and CEO Ted Phillips told the Sun-Times on Monday evening that the Bears have made Pro Bowl running back Matt Forte a “strong offer” and that they’re hopeful he’ll accept it.
“Not only do we appreciate him and have told him so, but the offer we’ve made him shows that, too. Now, different people can disagree on the ultimate value,” Phillips said. “But we feel we’ve made a strong offer to him, and are still hopeful he accepts it.”
It’s unclear when the Bears made their latest offer.
But Forte expressed his frustration after the club signed Michael Bush to a four-year contract late last week. But, Phillips said the team needs a “complementary” back and reiterated that the Bears have no intention of trading or parting ways with Forte.
“Matt Forte is our No. 1 running back. He’s been told that, and he knows that. We all know that. He’s going to be a Bear for 2012, at least,” Phillips said. “He knows he has a long-term offer on the table, and we hope, at some point and time, he chooses to accept that.”
Asked about some trade rumors, Phillips said, “I’m not going to comment on rumors.”
Phillips said Forte has been excellent for the club, both on and off the field.
“If he continues to play the way he has,” Phillips said. “I hope he continues to play here a long time.”