Weather Updates

Women hurt in Ndamukong Suh car crash say he lied

DETROIT—Two women have told police that Detroit Lions defensive tackle Ndamukong Suh lied about the details of his single-car accident early Saturday morning in Portland, Ore.

The women, who asked Portland police not to be identified, were passengers in Suh’s 1970 Chevrolet Chevelle SS when he lost control of his car in the nightclub district around 1:15 a.m. and hit a tree, a light pole and a drinking fountain, according to police.

Suh, 24, told police that he lost control when he tried to drive around a stopped taxi and that no one was injured. The two women told police they were injured, they did not see a taxi blocking the road and that Suh was driving “too fast” before the crash. Suh has not returned messages for comment.

In an interview with KGW-TV in Portland, one of the women said: “When the light turned green, he floored it. I just remember going so fast and it was violent and just getting thrown around like rag dolls.”

The woman was shown on camera and said she suffered a cut on her eyebrow that required five stitches, a black eye and a cut lip.

Police said the women left the scene of the accident before police arrived in order to avoid attention and seek medical attention. One woman told KGW that she only came forward to amend the police report after Suh promised to do it himself but failed to do so.

Portland police said in a statement that they will not investigate the crash: “No citations were issued and despite the new information, the Portland Police Bureau will not be investigating the crash as it does not meet the Police Bureau’s investigation criteria which include crashes involving intoxicated drivers, traumatic injuries, or vulnerable road users.

“At the time of the crash, neither woman spoke to police and nobody in the area reported to police anything about Suh’s driving.”

One woman said she told Suh that she was hurt. “I just said, ‘I’m hurt and I need to go to the hospital,’” she told KGW.

She said Suh’s response was, “You’re fine.”

That varies from Suh’s account. Shortly before police arrived, Suh called 911 and spoke with an operator for 1 minute, 15 seconds. Suh declined medical attention for himself and his two passengers when the operated asked if he needed an ambulance.

“No, I don’t think so,” Suh said. “I think everybody’s fine.”

There were at least two other 911 calls from bystanders.

Operator: “We have reports it’s a car into a tree. Is that you?”

Suh: “Yes.”

Operator: “OK, are you sure you don’t need an ambulance?”

Suh: “Yes, everybody’s fine.”

Suh told the operator he was the driver and at one point tries to flag down a nearby police officer while still on the phone with the operator by shouting: “Officer! Officer! Officer!”

Operator: “He’s looking for you. I’ll let him know you’re at 4th and Ankeny. What’s your name?”

After providing his name and other details, Suh ends the call by thanking the operator.

Sgt. Peter Simpson of the Portland Police Bureau described Suh as “polite” and “cooperative.” Simpson said the responding officer saw no signs of Suh’s impairment and did not perform a field sobriety test.

“In Oregon field-sobriety tests are not performed unless you’re already under arrest,” Simpson said. “So unless you have probable cause to believe they’re intoxicated, you don’t do them to people.”

Suh is currently serving a two-game suspension for stomping Green Bay offensive lineman Evan Dietrich-Smith on Thanksgiving.

© 2014 Sun-Times Media, LLC. All rights reserved. This material may not be copied or distributed without permission. For more information about reprints and permissions, visit To order a reprint of this article, click here.