Weather Updates

Northern Illinois rallies late to edge Army

Martel Moore makes catch over Army defender Tyler Dicksduring game-winning drive. | Craig Ruttle~AP

Martel Moore makes a catch over Army defender Tyler Dickson during the game-winning drive. | Craig Ruttle~AP

storyidforme: 37024847
tmspicid: 13532320
fileheaderid: 6240126

Updated: October 17, 2012 6:50AM

WEST POINT, N.Y. — Needing another rally with a seesaw road game up for grabs, Northern Illinois quarterback Jordan Lynch knew just who to look for.

He found him — and in the nick of time.

Down 40-35 with 4:29 to play, Lynch connected with a streaking Martel Moore from eight yards out — their second touchdown of the afternoon — and the Huskies sent Army to its fifth consecutive home-opening defeat 41-40 on Saturday.

Northern Illinois (2-1) made its first visit to Michie Stadium in 20 years a happy one despite trailing 40-35 with 8:55 to play.

“When the game’s on the line, we try to go to our playmakers,” said Lynch, who had 342 yards and four touchdowns on 18-for-27 passing. “Martel’s our playmaker out there. I just gave him a chance. He was in rhythm and made a nice catch.”

Moore had 134 receiving and Lynch added 125 on the ground as Northern Illinois used a potent passing game to counter Army’s triple-option.

Larry Dixon had three scores on 136 yards rushing and Trent Steelman had two touchdowns on 116 yards rushing for the Black Knights (0-2), while Raymond Maples added a touchdown and 159 yards. It was Army’s first game with three hundred-yard rushers since 1996.

“Our guys overcame a lot in that game to win,” said Huskies coach Dave Doeren, whose team notched its first victory in a road opener in five years. “They found a way to get it done. I’m excited to be able to run and pass the ball, the balance we had.”

Northern Illinois led 28-13 late in the first half.

Army got the ball back with 4:29 left in the game on its 25, but the Huskies snuffed Trent Steelman’s keeper attempt on fourth-and-3 with 1:52 to go to ice the win.

Army led 34-28 in the fourth when Lynch connected with Moore on a 31-yard touchdown pass to go ahead 35-34.

The Black Knights went back ahead 40-35 on Steelman’s 15-yard run — set up by a Mike Ugenyi fumble recovery to put the Black Knights deep in the red zone — before a missed conversion attempt with 8:55 left.

“This stadium is a place not many people come in and win,” Doeren said. “I saw how many rushing yards they had on their Jumbotron. I went to the defense and said, ‘Don’t look at the scoreboard. No one’s going to remember what it says if we win.’ ”


© 2014 Sun-Times Media, LLC. All rights reserved. This material may not be copied or distributed without permission. For more information about reprints and permissions, visit To order a reprint of this article, click here.