Are Bulls making room for Marcus Camby?
BY JOE COWLEY jcowley@suntimes.com July 23, 2013 11:52AM
Memphis Grizzlies' Willie Reed drives against Chicago Bulls' Malcolm Thomas in the first quarter of an NBA Summer League basketball game on Saturday, July 13, 2013, in Las Vegas. (AP Photo/Julie Jacobson)
Related Stories
Updated: July 23, 2013 5:19PM
Out is Malcolm Thomas, in is Marcus Camby?
Not yet.
A source close to the situation said on Tuesday that the waiving of Thomas does not make the Camby move imminent. What waiving the 6-foot-9, 225-pounder does is give the Bulls some more roster flexibility, however, as they continue to try and round out the bench by adding another low-post presence.
The Bulls have offered Camby a minimum contract, but are in line with several teams trying to land the services of the 6-11 veteran center, with Houston the likely frontrunner.
Camby, along with Nazr Mohammed, would give the Bulls more protection at the rim, as well as a rebounding presence behind Joakim Noah and Taj Gibson.
As for Thomas, despite leading the Las Vegas Summer League in rebounding with 15 boards a game for the Bulls, he was caught in a numbers game that he just couldn’t win.
He appeared in seven games last season for the Bulls, averaging 2.5 points in 8.4 minutes per game, but came into last week’s Summer League knowing he was not only playing for the Bulls, but for the rest of the league that was scouting him.
“I just want to show that I can be a super active player that brings energy and toughness,’’ Thomas said. “Basically my whole career I’ve been told that I’m not strong enough, not tall enough, but I feel like my mental toughness and energy makes up for whatever people think I don’t have.’’
