Chris Sale allows run for first time in third All-Star Game
BY DARYL VAN SCHOUWEN Staff Reporter July 15, 2014 8:48PM
Updated: July 16, 2014 12:18AM
MINNEAPOLIS — Derek Jeter was the star, and Alexei Ramirez was his understudy.
Ramirez and White Sox teammate Chris Sale entered the All-Star Game on Tuesday in the top of the fourth inning, although Ramirez waited until after Jeter had taken his position at shortstop, enabling the retiring Yankees star to exit in grand fashion.
It turned out to be quite a night for Ramirez, a first-time All-Star. He singled and reached on an error, stole a base and scored a run.
‘‘It was such a great honor to have that moment with such an American baseball legend,’’ the Cuban-born Ramirez said through a translator. ‘‘I was really proud to have that.’’
Sale, after taking his warmups and waiting out the Jeter moment, retired Giancarlo Stanton and Aramis Ramirez before hitting Chase Utley with a pitch. He then allowed an RBI double to Jonathan Lucroy before striking out Carlos Gomez.
‘‘Sometimes you get a little hyped up,’’ Sale said. ‘‘I was telling myself to stay back a little, get it under control. It happens.
‘‘If anything, [the Jeter exit] pumped me up a little bit. I was glad I was out there to see it.’’
Sale, the winning pitcher in the game last year with two scoreless innings at Citi Field, threw 16 pitches. It was the first time he was scored on in three All-Star Games.
Jose Abreu, who was moved to tears by Idina Menzel’s rendition of the national anthem before the game, played four innings at first base and had one at-bat. He swung at one pitch from Pirates lefty Tony Watson, flying out to left.
‘‘Unforgettable,’’ said the Cuban-born Abreu, whose parents watched him play in the United States for the first time. ‘‘I’m always going to have the memory of this experience.’’
Castro feels like he belongs
Cubs shortstop Starlin Castro sat quietly in a corner of the visitors’ clubhouse at Target Field before the game, feeling like he belongs again with the best.
‘‘It’s really good to be in here again,’’ said Castro, an All-Star in 2011 and ’12 but a big disappointment in ’13. ‘‘It’s important for me to have my confidence back. I didn’t trust myself, and I didn’t have my rhythm or anything. I lost it completely. It was a really rough year.’’
Castro, 24, is brimming with a quiet confidence again.
‘‘Oh, yeah, of course [I belong],’’ he said. ‘‘I have the talent to be one of the good ones, too. I’m going to keep grinding and playing hard. I want to be one of the best.’’
Open door for Rose?
Commissioner Bud Selig left open the possibility of Pete Rose having a role in the All-Star Game next year in Cincinnati despite his lifetime ban from baseball.
Rose, the career hits leader, agreed to a lifetime ban in 1989 after an investigation by Major League Baseball concluded he bet on baseball while he was managing the Reds. The Reds are expected to discuss Rose’s possible participation, Selig said.
Cubs draftee moves on up
The Cubs promoted catcher Kyle Schwarber, their first-round draft pick, to advanced Class A Daytona after he hit .361 with four home runs and 15 RBI in 23 games at Kane County.