suntimes
INCONSISTENT 
Weather Updates

Sale says it’s too early to worry after bad outing

Updated: March 6, 2014 10:41PM



GLENDALE, Ariz. — Chris Sale was asked if he’d consider wearing one of the new hats with protective padding that will be offered to pitchers this season. He said no but quipped that it would’ve been a good idea Wednesday the way the Padres were batting the ball around.

After a near-flawless first outing against the Dodgers, Sale was polar-opposite ineffective against the Padres in his second one, giving up six runs and six hits, including a three-run home run to Nick Hundley. He walked one and hit a batter.

“It sucked,’’ the Sox’ ace said of his performance.

Sale said his arm felt good. After throwing only one slider against the Dodgers, he threw about a dozen in his 59-pitch outing but had little command.

His level of concern in early March? Pretty much none, he said.

“We are here for a reason,’’ Sale said. “It’s to prepare yourself. You still want to do well and have success. But I’m definitely not losing any sleep tonight over this one. April and May come around, June and July, something like that happens, that’s when it eats at you. We are here to get our work in, and results are secondary to that.’’

Setback for Lindstrom

Right-handed reliever Matt Lindstrom won’t be pitching in a game any time soon.

Sidelined by a mild left oblique strain since last week, Lindstrom suffered a setback Tuesday toward the end of his long-toss workout. He had thrown three days pain-free and was planning to throw off a mound after that, but when he felt a sharp twinge on his last throws, the bullpen session and his return-to-normal plan were put on hold.

“It feels like somebody is shoving a knife in your side,’’ Lindstrom said at his locker Wednesday morning.

As bad as that sounds, Lindstrom is calling the injury minor, but it’s getting to the point where being ready by Opening Day is in question.

Oblique strains can be dicey, but Lindstrom, 34, is trying not to think the worst.

“I’m continuing to try to get it better, rehab it a little more since we have so many games left in spring training,’’ he said. “Leave myself some breathing room and get back out there, so just going to take it day by day.’’

The Sox’ bullpen is not exactly coming together. Nate Jones, perhaps the leading candidate to be the closer with Lindstrom not putting up a fight, threw a successful bullpen and is scheduled to pitch in his first game on Saturday. Jones got off to a slow start after dealing with a mild gluteus muscle strain.

The other closer candidates are not in camp. Rookie Daniel Webb has been absent since last week because of a death in his family, and Ronald Belisario is in Venezuela because of visa problems.

Roster cuts

The first moves of spring came down as right-handers Chris Bassitt, Parker Frazier and Brian Omogrosso, left-hander Mauricio Robles, catcher Kevan Smith, outfielder Denis Phipps and infielder Mike McDade were reassigned to minor-league camp.

Email: dvanschouwen@suntimes.com

Twitter: @CST_soxvan



© 2014 Sun-Times Media, LLC. All rights reserved. This material may not be copied or distributed without permission. For more information about reprints and permissions, visit www.suntimesreprints.com. To order a reprint of this article, click here.