suntimes
SPARKLE 
Weather Updates

Starlin Castro: I’ve ‘fully cooperated’ in sex assault probe


Cubs shortstop StarlCastro gets hit face by ball throw as Brewers’ Carlos Gomez steals second eighth inning. | Jim Prisching~AP

Cubs shortstop Starlin Castro gets hit in the face by the ball on a throw as the Brewers’ Carlos Gomez steals second in the eighth inning. | Jim Prisching~AP

storyidforme: 24135413
tmspicid: 3245741
fileheaderid: 1855008
Article Extras
Story Image

Updated: February 15, 2012 8:06AM



Cubs All-Star shortshop Starlin Castro said Friday he has “fully cooperated with the police” investigating a woman’s sexual assault allegation against him, but can’t further comment on the matter.

Castro, 21, was questioned Friday by Chicago police about the allegations made by a woman who says Castro attacked her three months ago, law enforcement sources said.

“I personally, and through my attorneys, have fully cooperated with the police in this matter,” Castro said in a statement released Friday afternoon.

“Unfortunately I cannot address the matter further at this time while the investigation is taking place. I understand that being a member of the Cubs means being a hard worker on the field and a good citizen off the field, and I always want to carry myself in a way that exceeds high expectations.”

Castro appeared at the Chicago Cubs Convention at the Chicago Hilton and Towers Friday night, where he was warmly received by Cubs fans. He did not address the media or make any public comments.

Castro voluntarily appeared at the Chicago Police Department’s Belmont Area detective headquarters early Friday to answer questions, sources told the Chicago Sun-Times.

Castro was released after being interviewed and hasn’t been charged, according to the sources, who said the investigation is continuing.

Spokeswomen for the police and for the Cook County state’s attorney’s office would not comment.

Last week, a police source confirmed that detectives were investigating a criminal sexual assault complaint involving Castro, who allegedly met the woman on Sept. 29 at a River North nightclub and took her back to his apartment. The woman, in her 20s, went to a hospital the next day, and police became involved.

Lawyers for the shortstop said then that the complaint against Castro was baseless.

Castro had been in his native Dominican Republic over the winter but returned to Chicago to attend the Cubs Convention, which continues through Sunday, according to Cubs general manager Jed Hoyer.

The Cubs issued a statement last week acknowledging they were aware of the allegations and saying the team takes the situation seriously.

“We are hopeful when the facts are brought to light, Starlin will be cleared of any wrongdoing,” the statement said.

Castro’s attorneys, Jay K. Reisinger and Michael P. Gillespie, said then: “We are aware of certain allegations that have been made against our client, Starlin Castro. We have thoroughly investigated this matter, and we are confident that these allegations are baseless. Given the sensitive nature of this matter, we cannot comment any further.”

Contributing: Chris Fusco



© 2014 Sun-Times Media, LLC. All rights reserved. This material may not be copied or distributed without permission. For more information about reprints and permissions, visit www.suntimesreprints.com. To order a reprint of this article, click here.