suntimes
PROPER 
Weather Updates

Quade to meet with Cubs again

Updated: December 1, 2011 8:49AM



Cubs manager Mike Quade met last week with team president Theo Epstein and general manager Jed Hoyer, but his status for 2012 — and that of his coaching staff — was not resolved, according to a major-league source.

Quade, who is under contract through next season, is scheduled to meet again with team brass this week, at which point he’s expected to learn whether he’ll be back.

Quade, who is 95-104 since taking over in August 2010 (71-91 in ’11), could not be reached for comment.

Hoyer and Jason McLeod, senior vice president for scouting and player development, are to be introduced at a news conference Tuesday at Wrigley Field. Both were hired from the San Diego Padres in a deal announced Wednesday.

In the first player personnel move of the Epstein-Hoyer era, the Cubs on Sunday night exercised third baseman Aramis Ramirez’s $16 million option for 2012.

Ramirez, who has until Tuesday night to act on his end of the mutual option, ­already has informed the club he intends to opt out and become a free agent, as he said last month he would do if the Cubs refused to discuss a multiyear extension.

The top third baseman on the free-agent market wavered late last week when he said he might consider accepting the one-year deal if the Cubs exercised the option.

Instead, the Cubs save the $2 million a buyout would have cost and, in having exercised the option, secure a supplemental first-round draft pick as free-agent compensation.

Ramirez, the Cubs’ most productive hitter during his eight-plus seasons with the team, could command a four-year deal as a free agent. He hit .306 with 26 home runs in 2011, leading the Cubs with 93 RBI and an .871 OPS.

Buehrle officially free

Mark Buehrle was among four White Sox who filed for free agency Sunday.

The Sox have exclusive negotiating rights with the 32-year-old Buehrle until 11 p.m. Wednesday. With 11 consecutive seasons with at least 200 innings, 30 starts and 10 victories, Buehrle figures to be one of the most sought-after left-handers, along with the New York Yankees’ CC Sabathia and the Texas Rangers’ C.J. Wilson.

Outfielder Juan Pierre, infielder Omar Vizquel and catcher Ramon Castro also filed but aren’t expected to be re-signed by the Sox. Buehrle, a fan favorite and one of three remaining players from the 2005 World Series champions, might not be in the team’s payroll-trimming plans, either.

However, the Sox could offer Buehrle a two-year deal, especially if lefty John Danks is traded. Buehrle is coming off a four-year, $56 million contract.

Daryl Van Schouwen



© 2014 Sun-Times Media, LLC. All rights reserved. This material may not be copied or distributed without permission. For more information about reprints and permissions, visit www.suntimesreprints.com. To order a reprint of this article, click here.