Weather Updates

Quade says there’s no sign of trouble with Byrd

Updated: September 24, 2012 6:25AM

HOUSTON — The missed sign in the ninth inning Sunday that became a flashpoint for a heated exchange between Marlon Byrd and reporters was resolved before the game Monday, manager Mike Quade said.

‘‘We talked about all that, and I think we’ve come up with a solution,’’ said Quade, who watched Byrd get thrown out attempting to steal second after leading off the ninth with a single during the 6-5 loss in Milwaukee.

‘‘It’s just a green-light sign to me, and whether or not he had the green light,’’ Quade said. ‘‘I don’t think he had the green light. [Third base coach Ivan DeJesus] doesn’t think [he did]. He thought he did.

‘‘So we have three guys. Three of us screw the thing up, and we move on. And we try not to do that again.’’

Byrd said after the game Sunday that he took his sign from DeJesus, and when asked if he saw the steal sign, he responded, ‘‘Did I go?’’ He repeated that phrase several times when a follow-up question was attempted.

By game time Monday, Quade was done with what he called the lone missed sign of the season through nine games.

‘‘I don’t have any concerns about any of that,’’ he said, ‘‘as long as we get on the same page and move on. We’ve got Houston to worry about. If we’re still worried about what happened yesterday, we’re in big trouble.’’


With two out in the fourth inning of their 10th game, the Cubs finally stole a base. Starlin Castro slid headfirst into second ahead of Humberto Quintero’s throw.

The Cubs were the last team in the majors to steal a base after failed attempts by Darwin Barney in the season opener and Byrd on Sunday.

And it ended the franchise’s longest drought to start a season since they went 12 games without one in 1941.

Fukudome to DL?

Kosuke Fukudome said his strained left hamstring felt better about 24 hours after hurting it Sunday on a running catch. The Cubs don’t expect to know for at least another day or two whether the disabled list will be needed.

‘‘It’s a delicate area. You push that envelope, and it becomes six weeks instead of four or five days,’’ said Quade, who expects to have a better idea of Fukudome’s prognosis after more treatment today.

‘‘He’s too valuable to just send him out and bring somebody else up here right now. If we can get through this for a few days without having to DL him, that for me is huge.’’

© 2014 Sun-Times Media, LLC. All rights reserved. This material may not be copied or distributed without permission. For more information about reprints and permissions, visit To order a reprint of this article, click here.