Baseball by the numbers with Bill Chuck
BY BILL CHUCK firstname.lastname@example.org | @billyball July 27, 2013 1:22AM
Cardinals veteran Jake Westbrook hasn’t had a double-figure game in strikeouts in 268 career starts. | AP
Updated: August 29, 2013 7:52PM
This week’s names and numbers in baseball:
CHICAGO NINE TO KNOW
1. John Danks has surrendered two three-run home runs this season (Prince Fielder and Brian McCann). Donnie Veal, Brian Omogrosso, Dylan Axelrod and Chris Sale also have allowed three-run homers this season.
2. Adam Dunn has 32 two-out RBI to lead the White Sox, and Alfonso Soriano has 24 two-out RBI to lead the Cubs.
3. Nate Schierholtz’s five-RBI game was his first with the Cubs. The Cubs’ all-time leader in games with five or more RBI is Sammy Sosa with 25, followed by Billy Williams with 15.
4. 2012 is the only season since 2008 that Jake Peavy has made more than 20 starts. Even with his 32 starts last season, Peavy has averaged only 21 starts during the last four seasons.
5. In 1989, Howard Johnson of the Mets had 41 doubles and 41 steals. In 2006, Alfonso Soriano was a 41/41 guy for the Nationals. Through Wednesday, Alex Rios had 21 doubles and 21 steals.
6. The Cubs are 1-6 and the White Sox are 0-6 in games in which they didn’t have an extra-base hit.
7. The Cubs are 23-11 when they steal at least one base in a game and 22-44 when they steal none. The White Sox are 18-27 in games with a steal and 22-32 in games without one.
8. After a 1-0 count, major-league pitchers have a .271 batting average against. Cubs pitchers have a .254 BAA and Sox pitchers have a .251 BAA after a 1-0 count.
9. Jeff Samardzija has allowed 10 hits on 2-0 counts, the most in the majors.
NATIONAL NINE TO KNOW
1. No team’s pitchers get more called strikes on pitches out of the strike zone than the Tigers (11 percent of their strikes).
2. The Brewers have been held to one run 19 times this season, the most in the majors. They are 1-18 in those games.
3. The Cardinals’ Jake Westbrook has made 268 career starts and never has had a double-figure game in strikeouts.
4. Justin Verlander has gone 11 consecutive games without striking out 10 batters. His personal record is 44 games in a row from July 4, 2005, to June 6, 2007.
5. The Cardinals are the only team above .500 (25-24) in games in which they don’t hit a home run. The Red Sox are next-best at 24-24.
6. Aroldis Chapman has 26 strikeouts with two outs in the ninth and extra innings, the most in the majors.
7. Adam Wainwright is 8-1 and Bartolo Colon is 8-2 away from home.
8. The Pirates have a major-league-leading 3.06 ERA. The last time they had an ERA this low was in 1975, when they finished first in the National League East.
9. From 2011 to 2013, Ryan Braun homered 11 times against the Reds and eight times against the Cubs and Astros.
CHICAGO-GRAM: The perfect weekend to think of him
(answer to the anagram is below)
THE WEEK AHEAD: We only can wonder who over the next week won’t call Chicago home. The White Sox who are left will be visiting the Indians and Tigers. The remaining Cubs will host back-to-back four-game sets against the Brewers and Dodgers.