Weather Updates

Speed, stops give Wolves 4-3 shootout win over IceHogs

Updated: January 5, 2014 11:49PM

Like any coach, the Wolves’ John Anderson is happy when his team scores twice in seven seconds.

Not all coaches like shootouts, but Anderson had reason to enjoy one Sunday.

Sergey Andronov and Pat Cannone scored seven seconds apart in the second period, and after allowing Mark McNeill to tie the game on a power play with 46.4 seconds left in the third, the Wolves topped the Rockford IceHogs for a 4-3 shootout win.

Alexandre Bolduc also scored for the Wolves, while Brad Winchester and Pat Mullane scored for the IceHogs, who were without Brandon Pirri (lower-body injury) for the third consecutive game.

One night after scoring on all four of their shootout attempts in a 4-3 win over the Iowa Wild, the Wolves converted three of their five chances. Jordan Binnington stopped the IceHogs on three of four tries, giving the Wolves their seventh victory in nine games.

‘‘I am [a fan of shootouts] now,’’ Anderson said. ‘‘Our goalies were good in it, and our shooters were good in it. So that’s a good combination.’’

After the teams traded power-play goals in the last two minutes of the first period, the IceHogs took a 2-1 lead two minutes into the second on Mullane’s first AHL goal.

That lead was erased quickly. Andronov scored on a power-play goal with 13:20 to go, and Cannone knocked the rebound of a shot by Mark Mancari out of the air and past Jason LaBarbera (33 saves) seven seconds later.

‘‘We got one to get back in the game, and then we just wanted to get a good shift after that goal,’’ Cannone said. ‘‘Mancari’s really got a big shot, and we just want to get him the puck in good spots and go to the net, and I was fortunate enough to bang it in.’’

The two goals were the Wolves’ quickest of the season and one second off the team record set Dec. 6, 2008, against the IceHogs.

Cannone’s goal looked like the game-winner until McNeill beat Binnington (31 saves), sending the game to overtime.

‘‘We gave everything we had — it was three in three days for us,” IceHogs coach Ted Dent said. ‘‘I thought we worked hard, a couple mistakes here and there, but overall happy to tie the game and get a point out of this.’’

© 2014 Sun-Times Media, LLC. All rights reserved. This material may not be copied or distributed without permission. For more information about reprints and permissions, visit To order a reprint of this article, click here.