The Reds’ Shin-Soo Choo leads the major leagues with 72 at-bats that have reached full counts this season. | Al Behrman~AP
Updated: August 2, 2013 7:04AM
CHICAGO NINE TO KNOW
1. Cubs starters have an ERA of 3.68 on the first 75 pitches of games. After that, their ERA climbs to 5.43.
2. Batters are hitting .234 against White Sox pitchers in tie games, the lowest average in the American League. Oddly, Sox batters also are hitting .234 in tie games, the lowest average in the AL.
3. Starlin Castro is hitting only .170 on sliders, cutters and splitters.
4. Dubious honors: Chris Sale’s 14 strikeouts in a game are the most in a loss this season. He’s followed by Jeff Samardzija’s 13 whiffs in a losing cause.
5. Alejandro De Aza and Jacoby Ellsbury lead the AL with 37 hits leading off an inning.
6. Before you get too depressed about the one home run Sox second basemen have hit this season, A’s second basemen have hit none.
7. Anthony Rizzo leads the Cubs with 26 RBI with runners in scoring position, despite hitting only .181 in those situations.
8. The Cubs are 10-25 with a 4.07 ERA and a 1.271 WHIP against the rest of the National League Central. The Sox are 9-13 with a 3.33 ERA and a 1.235 WHIP against the rest of the AL Central.
9. Cubs and Braves pitchers have a .242 batting average against. Sox, Rays and Cardinals pitchers have a .243 BAA.
THE NATIONAL NINE
1. The Brewers have hit 24 first-pitch home runs, the most in the majors.
2. The Tigers have struck out in 16.5 percent of their plate appearances, the lowest rate in the majors.
3. While their 13-10 record in one-run games isn’t extraordinary, the Pirates’ 16-5 record in two-run games is the best in baseball.
4. Shin-Soo Choo leads the majors with 72 full counts. Adam Dunn led the majors with 157 in 2012.
5. Carlos Santana has been behind the plate for 32 wild pitches and three passed balls this season. Salvador Perez has no passed balls this season, but his pitchers have thrown 31 wild pitches when he’s catching.
6. In games after a loss, Pirates pitchers are 21-9 with a 2.52 ERA.
7. The Reds’ bullpen was the best in baseball last season with a 2.65 ERA. This season, its ERA has ballooned to 3.89.
8. Miguel Cabrera leads the majors with 24 walks with runners in scoring position. Joey Votto and Carlos Santana are tied for second with 21.
9. Wade Davis has the worst WHIP of any pitcher in the Central divisions at 1.714, followed by Wily Peralta (1.598) and Edwin Jackson (1.55). Jackson has the worst ERA (5.84) among pitchers in the Central divisions.
(scroll down for answer)
The Week ahead:
The Sox host the Orioles, then visit the Rays. The Sox are 7-6 against the AL East this season. The Cubs visit the A’s, then the Bucs stop here. The Pirates are 6-3 against the Cubs this season. . . . And the Bill Chuck Files will review Chicago’s June swoon.