suntimes
CRISP 
Weather Updates

AFL says Rush will finish year

Chicago Rush owner David Staral

Chicago Rush owner David Staral

storyidforme: 48940091
tmspicid: 18197363
fileheaderid: 8181545

Updated: May 8, 2013 9:53PM



After a Sun-Times report Tuesday revealed the criminal history of Rush owner David Staral Jr. and reported the Arena Football League was taking steps to remove him, league commissioner Jerry B. Kurz told AZCentral.com on Wednesday that the Rush will play out its schedule this season.

But according to Allstate Arena general manager Pat Nagle, the league has yet to gather the money to pay the village of Rosemont for the remaining games scheduled at Allstate Arena.

Nagle only has received payment for the Rush’s next home game, which is scheduled for May 19 against the Arizona Rattlers. He was told the league would notify him about how it planned to pay for the rest of the season before the Rush’s next home game.

“Supposedly the other teams and the ownership — I think the league is considered the owners — have to pitch in and pay for this team like they did last year,” Nagle said. “What I was told is that they’re working on getting that confirmed to finish the rest of the season. So as of right now, do I have money for the rest of the season? No. But I am paid in full for the next game.

“Before the 19th happens, I’m supposed to find out that they have money and they will keep going on.”

The Sun-Times reported Wednesday that Staral Jr. wasn’t put through a background check before purchasing the Rush, which Kurz confirmed in his interview with the Arizona Republic’s website. Kurz also took responsibility for the situation, which has threatened the stability of the Rush and the league.



© 2014 Sun-Times Media, LLC. All rights reserved. This material may not be copied or distributed without permission. For more information about reprints and permissions, visit www.suntimesreprints.com. To order a reprint of this article, click here.