Weather Updates

Super Bowl XLVII notebook: Power outage causes 30-minute delay

RAVENS 34 49ERS 31

Article Extras
Story Image

Updated: February 4, 2013 1:12AM

NEW ORLEANS — San Francisco 49ers quarterback Colin Kaepernick tried to get away from Baltimore Ravens defensive end Arthur Jones, but he couldn’t. He was sacked for a six-yard loss early in the third quarter of Super Bowl XLVII on Sunday — and then the lights went out.

For 34 minutes.

The majority of the lights in the Superdome went out immediately, while others started going out one by one during a power outage. All of the jumbotrons and scoreboards were knocked out, and the press box went completely dark.

During the outage, the public-address announcer said the Superdome was experiencing an interruption of electrical service and encouraged fans to stay in their seats.

An NFL spokesman said after power was restored that stadium authorities were investigating the cause of the outage. Superdome spokesman Eric Eagan apologized for the incident.

During the outage, players stretched on the sidelines or played catch, while fans did the wave and a big “Let’s Go Ravens” chant broke out. The Ravens were leading 28-6 at the time.

Some Ravens said the outage didn’t affect them, but the 49ers staged a big rally afterward. Safety Ed Reed and tight end Dennis Pitta said the Ravens had to regain their focus.

“We had everything rolling, then the power goes out and we’re waiting for what felt like an hour,” Pitta said. “We lost a lot of momentum, and credit to them, they came storming back.”

Quarterback Joe Flacco said the remaining lighting on the field wasn’t too bad.

“I don’t know what it would have looked like on TV, but I think the receivers actually still would have been able to see the ball in all that,” Flacco said. “The biggest issue was with the headsets. I think our headsets were working. I think theirs weren’t.”

Fake out

The Ravens attempted a fake on a 32-yard field goal attempt late in the first half. Kicker Justin Tucker took a direct snap on fourth-and-nine and sprinted left, but he couldn’t beat 49ers linebacker Patrick Willis and safety Darcel McBath to the first down.

Luckily for the Ravens, the 49ers went three-and-out on their ensuing possession, which began at their own 6-yard line.

“We’ve failed before. We’ve succeeded before,” Flacco said. “We just go out there and play football.”

The big return

Ravens receiver Jacoby Jones’ 108-yard kickoff return straight up the middle for a touchdown to open the second half matched the longest return in NFL history in any game.

“All week in practice we were working on that return,” Jones said. “That’s my favorite return. I told Coach, ‘I don’t care where they kick it at, how deep it is. I’m taking the ball out on this return.’ ”

© 2014 Sun-Times Media, LLC. All rights reserved. This material may not be copied or distributed without permission. For more information about reprints and permissions, visit To order a reprint of this article, click here.