10/10: Fish of the Week

storyidforme: 38255686
tmspicid: 14043211
fileheaderid: 6451094

Updated: November 11, 2012 6:23AM

Corey Gaffer made a night of trolling crankbaits from kayaks special
Saturday by landing a
massive brown trout.

Tom Harris, who set up a four-man outing for Milwaukee harbor, and Gaffer started just before dark. They both picked up quick fish, ‘‘a beautiful Arlee-strain steelhead’’ and a king, Harris emailed.

When Bryan Blazek and Chris Loveless arrived, they began side-by-side trolling.

‘‘Not long after we
started . . . Corey, who was closest to the rocks, yelled: ‘Fish on,’ ’’ Harris emailed. ‘‘He snatched the rod out of the holder and began
bullying this massive brown up. We all cleared lines to help him land it, and as my headlamp hit it the first time, I thought, ‘Wow, that’s one of the nicest kings I’ve seen this year.’ As it turned and made another dive, I saw it’s golden side covered in spots and knew it was a brute of a brown.’’

Blazek messaged that it weighed 20 pounds (give or take) on a spring scale before being released.

Overall, they landed 14 fish: a coho, the brown, the steelhead and the rest kings.

‘‘Nothing beats getting towed around in a kayak by one of these beasts,’’ Harris emailed.

© 2014 Sun-Times Media, LLC. All rights reserved. This material may not be copied or distributed without permission. For more information about reprints and permissions, visit www.suntimesreprints.com. To order a reprint of this article, click here.