Weather Updates

Wolves’ season ends in second OT

The Wolves’ KevDoell checks Rampage’s Nolan Yonkman inboards during first period Friday. | Steve Woltmann~Chicago Wolves

The Wolves’ Kevin Doell checks the Rampage’s Nolan Yonkman into the boards during the first period Friday. | Steve Woltmann~Chicago Wolves

storyidforme: 29611805
tmspicid: 10733441
fileheaderid: 4917747

Updated: May 30, 2012 8:28AM

Though the Wolves might dwell on missed chances in their 3-2 double-overtime loss to the San Antonio Rampage in Game 5 of their first-round Calder Cup playoff series, botched opportunities were prevalent throughout the series.

It all came back to cost the Wolves when Roman Derlyuk scored the game-winning goal at 5:28 of the second overtime, eliminating the Wolves and sending the Rampage to the Western Conference semifinals against the Oklahoma City Barons.

After the Wolves spent the better part of three periods exasperated over near misses that included hitting two goal posts, they were able to rally from a two-goal deficit.

Brad Hunt scored the Wolves’ first goal at 10:34 of the third period. That set up heroics from Darren Haydar, the AHL’s all-time leading scorer in the playoffs, who sent the game to overtime with a goal at 18:52 after coach Craig MacTavish pulled goalie Eddie Lack to add an extra attacker.

In the first overtime, the Wolves had two power plays. But a unit that has struggled all year failed to put the game away.

“We can sit here and point fingers all day long on what happened. I thought the guys fought hard to get back in the game, and anything can happen in overtime,” Haydar said.

After the two teams played to a scoreless tie in the first period, the Rampage’s Evan Barlow scored a power-play goal at 8:23 in the second period when he hit a slap shot from just inside the point to beat Lack.

The power play came when Lack drew a minor penalty for playing the puck outside the restricted area.

The Rampage went up 2-0 when Mark Cullen scored at 8:00 of the third period with a wrist shot from the right side.

“We just dug ourselves a pretty big hole,” MacTavish said. “Played pretty well in the second to be down a goal after that period and then fought back real hard to get it even and put it into overtime.

“Then it’s just somebody’s going to make a play and score a goal.”

© 2014 Sun-Times Media, LLC. All rights reserved. This material may not be copied or distributed without permission. For more information about reprints and permissions, visit To order a reprint of this article, click here.