suntimes
SMOOTH 
Weather Updates

Cubs’ Starlin Castro wants to put sexual allegations behind him

How Patrick Daley Thompson finished in the election

Loading...

Updated: April 21, 2012 4:33PM



MESA, Ariz. – Speaking publicly for the first time since sexual assault allegations arose over the winter, Cubs shortstop Starlin Castro said he’s learned not to trust everybody and has put the issue in the past and is focusing only on baseball.

``In the beginning it was tough, but I [put] this out of my mind and [focused on] preparation to play baseball,’’ said Castro Friday upon his arrival at spring training at Fitch Park.

``I cooperated with the police [by] talking about that,’’ said Castro, who met with police for several hours last month when he returned from home in the Dominican Republic to participate in Cubs convention. ``I don’t’ have [anything more] to say about that. I’m ready to play baseball and practice very hard to help this team win this season.’’

Castro, who led the National League with 207 hits in his first full season in the majors last year, met briefly with Cubs manager Dale Sveum. He said Sveum talked about expectations this season and focusing on baseball.

His representatives have ``vehemently’’ denied any wrongdoing by Castro.

``I think he didn’t make a mistake because he did not do anything wrong, and I believe in him,’’ said veteran Alfonso Soriano, the teammate who has remained in closest touch with Castro since the allegations. ``He’s such a great guy, and he thinks everybody can be friend with him. Now he knows when that happened to him he has to be a little more careful.’’

Castro said that’s exactly what he’s learned. ``You’ve got to be careful, because a lot of bad people in the world.’’



© 2014 Sun-Times Media, LLC. All rights reserved. This material may not be copied or distributed without permission. For more information about reprints and permissions, visit www.suntimesreprints.com. To order a reprint of this article, click here.