suntimes
ANNOYING 
Weather Updates

16-year-old girl among 6 killed, 31 wounded in city

Updated: July 18, 2012 6:49AM

Just an hour before 100 Chicago Police officers gathered Saturday to go on patrol overnight for a potentially violent shift across the city, a 16-year-old girl lay in a gangway, three bullets in her chest.

The girl, according to a witness, and two male teens were sitting on the porch of a vacant house in the 2000 block of West 70th Place “when a boy in a gray hoodie ran out from the gangway and just started shooting.”

Hours later, the girl, whom the medical examiner’s office declined to identify Sunday morning pending family notification, was pronounced dead, at 3:47 a.m. Sunday after she’d been taken in critical condition to Advocate Christ Medical Center in Oak Lawn.

The girl was one of five people killed and at least another 26 wounded in shootings across the city from Friday afternoon into Sunday morning.

The witness, who asked not to be named, said he “ran up to the porch. I seen this big old hole in her side and I just start praying for her. She kept saying ‘It burns. It burns,’ and then she passed out. I couldn’t look any longer.”

“I’m sick of this,” the witness said. “They need to lock all their asses up.”

That bitter assessment of city violence was given not far from where the officers met with Chicago Police Supt. Garry McCarthy, who spoke to them in a parking lot where the 7th district station had been located, 6120 S. Racine, in a so-called roll call.

In the wake of two violent weekends, the city called in the extra cops, including many on overtime, to work in hotspots citywide.

McCarthy urged them to be aggressive — but also interactive.

“Getting out of the car is what makes the difference, and that’s what I expect you all to be doing tonight,” McCarthy said.

The city’s murder rate is up about 35 percent compared with the same time last year. There were 9 homicides last weekend and about 50 shootings.

“Compared to the previous two weekends, we’re doing OK,” McCarthy said.

Antonio Buck, 32, of the 5400 block of South Aberdeen, was killed — also not far from the roll call — in the 5200 block of South Honore, at 1:50 a.m., officials said.

In the other shootings, the youngest victim was a 15-year-old boy who was shot in the back while in the 1000 block of North Long at 11 p.m. Friday when someone opened fire at a vehicle he was riding in, police said.

At the roll call, officials called attention to one shooting early Friday. An off-duty 38-year-old officer, a 10-year police veteran, was on the rear porch of a home in the 9700 block of South Genoa when he heard gunshots and felt pain in both legs, according to a police statement. Although his injuries weren’t life-threatening, it angered deputy chief of patrol Joe Patterson.

“We should take it personal when one of our guys gets shot,” Patterson told his co-workers before they went off into the night.

No one was in custody for any of the shootings as of late Saturday.

© 2014 Sun-Times Media, LLC. All rights reserved. This material may not be copied or distributed without permission. For more information about reprints and permissions, visit www.suntimesreprints.com. To order a reprint of this article, click here.