suntimes
LUMINOUS 
Weather Updates

US condemns deadly Taliban attack

NATO International security assistance forces personnel investigate site Friday's suicide attack shooting Kabul Afghanistan Saturday Jan. 18 2014. A Taliban

NATO International security assistance forces personnel investigate at the site of the Friday's suicide attack and shooting, in Kabul, Afghanistan, Saturday, Jan. 18, 2014. A Taliban suicide bomber and two gunmen on Friday attacked a Lebanese restaurant that is popular with foreigners and affluent Afghans in Kabul, a brazen attack that left 16 dead, including foreigners dining inside and two other gunmen, officials said. (AP Photo/Rahmat Gul)

storyidforme: 60803772
tmspicid: 22019934
fileheaderid: 10419344

WASHINGTON (AP) — The United States is condemning a deadly Taliban attack in Afghanistan, saying there is “no possible justification” for killing people who worked to help Afghans achieve a brighter future.

The U.S. also is renewing its call for the Taliban to lay down its weapons and begin peace talks with the Afghan government.

White House spokesman Jay Carney says such a move is the surest way to bring a peaceful end to the conflict in Afghanistan.

The Taliban claimed responsibility for Friday’s attack on a popular restaurant in Kabul, Afghanistan’s capital and largest city. Twenty-one people, including two American citizens working for the American University of Afghanistan, were killed.

The Taliban said the attack was in retaliation for an Afghan military operation earlier in the week.



© 2014 Sun-Times Media, LLC. All rights reserved. This material may not be copied or distributed without permission. For more information about reprints and permissions, visit www.suntimesreprints.com. To order a reprint of this article, click here.