Weather Updates

Other closed homicide cases from the Chicago Police Department’s ‘CCX’ files

David Koschman

David Koschman

storyidforme: 57197105
tmspicid: 2744031
fileheaderid: 1661055
Article Extras
Story Image

These are among the 204 homicide cases the Chicago Police Department “cleared, closed exceptionally” — or CCXed — between January 2008 and March 2013:

David Koschman, 21, of Mount Prospect

Koschman died after being punched in a drunken confrontation with a nephew of former Mayor Richard M. Daley on April 25, 2004.

His death remained an unsolved homicide until March 1, 2011, when the police closed the case without charges, saying Daley nephew Richard J. “R.J.” Vanecko acted in self-defense.

Last December, Vanecko was charged with involuntary manslaughter after an investigation by Special Prosecutor Dan K. Webb.

Isaiah Richmond, 22, of Lawndale

The father of one died on Jan. 31, 2008, two weeks after his girlfriend, Catrise Windfield, plunged a steak knife into his chest during an argument at her Near North Side apartment, according to the police, who wanted to charge Windfield with murder.

The Cook County’s state’s attorney’s office refused, saying Windfield acted in self-defense. The police closed the case on June 9, 2008.

“You’re trying to bring something up that we’ve been trying to put aside,” says Windfield, a part-time school-bus aide for the Chicago Public Schools.

Everett Trice, 29, of Morgan Park

The father of three was shot and killed on the porch of his cousin’s house in Englewood on Dec. 1, 2002, after breaking up a fight at a party there.

Six months later, the police identified Jovan Thompson as a suspect. He was arrested on the West Side on Jan. 3, 2011, but prosecutors rejected charges. The police closed the case two days later.

Asked about Trice, Thompson says, “I don’t know what you’re talking about.”

Michael Griffin, 48, of Chicago

After Griffin lost his janitor’s job at Navy Pier, he was staying with his father, retired Chicago police Detective James Griffin, who says he mistook his son for an intruder and shot him in the face on Oct. 9, 2012, at his Northwest Side condo.

The police concluded Griffin’s “actions were lawful” and close the case last Jan. 13.

“It was justifiable,” says Griffin, 78, who spent 41 years as a cop. “It was a nightmare for me.”

Kelya Cannon, 1 day old, of the Near West Side

The baby’s mother, Keira Cannon, told the police she was on the toilet and unexpectedly gave birth, cutting the umbilical cord and leaving her newborn daughter in the toilet for “20 or 30 minutes” on Dec. 9, 2011. She removed the baby and later called her adoption counselor, who called 911.

The Cook County medical examiner ruled the death a homicide, saying the baby “died of hypothermia due to maternal neglect.” The police sought a murder charge, but a prosecutor declined on Feb. 8, 2012, because of the “inability to determine how long the victim was alive and the inability to disprove the offender’s story.” The case was closed on Jan. 13, 2013.

Cannon was 18 when she gave birth to Kelya, her second child. She could not be reached for comment.

Kamarion Foster, 5 months old, of West Englewood

The baby suffered numerous injuries on Feb. 22, 2009 — a day before he and his 9-year-old brother were to be removed from their grandmother’s home by state child-welfare officials, records show. He died on Feb. 24. The medical examiner ruled it a homicide “due to multiple injuries due to blunt trauma.”

An 18-year-old aunt told the police the baby and his brother were upstairs by themselves, and the boy told her the baby fell on the floor.

The death came three months after child-welfare officials had investigated the family because the boy accused his aunt of striking him in the face with a belt. State officials decided the allegation was unsubstantiated but accused the grandmother of neglect.

The police concluded the boy caused his brother’s death by “jumping, kicking and falling on the victim while practicing wrestling moves.” They closed the case on Nov. 21, 2009, after prosecutors declined to charge the boy.

Nancy M. Nathan, 50, of West Rogers Park

She was divorcing her husband, Daniel Nathan, an iguana expert with the Chicago Herpetological Society, when she was shot several times in their kitchen on Aug. 16, 2012. Daniel Nathan, 53, found with a gunshot wound to his head, later died.

The police concluded Nathan killed his wife, then himself, and closed the case on Sept. 27, 2012.

Christine A. Caponigro, 42, of Chicago

Caponigro was found raped and strangled in the backseat of a car parked behind 7015 N. Clark on May 8, 2003.

Based on DNA evidence, including a used condom in the car, the police determined the mother of two was raped and killed by Juan Chavez, one of two men who reported the crime. But it took four years to get DNA results from the state crime lab, and Chavez reportedly moved to Mexico.

He is wanted on warrants issued in 2008, when the police closed the case.

“There’s no reason the Chicago police or the feds couldn’t go get him if they wanted to,” says the woman’s brother, Bill Caponigro, a suburban police detective.

Dr. David H. Cornbleet, 64, of Lincolnwood

The dermatologist was repeatedly stabbed in his Michigan Avenue office on Oct. 24, 2006. DNA evidence led to his patient Hans Peterson, a dual U.S.-French citizen who fled to the French West Indies.

France refused to extradite Peterson, saying he had to be tried under French law. In Chicago, the police closed the case on Feb. 12, 2009.

Two years later, Peterson was convicted on the island of Guadeloupe of the murder. He appealed, was retried last year in Paris, convicted and sentenced to 30 years, according to Cornbleet’s son, Jonathan Cornbleet.

© 2014 Sun-Times Media, LLC. All rights reserved. This material may not be copied or distributed without permission. For more information about reprints and permissions, visit To order a reprint of this article, click here.