Obama says he’s considering ‘narrow’ Syria action
THE ASSOCIATED PRESS August 30, 2013 1:47PM
- READ: Syria briefing paper
- Poll: Americans want Congress' approval before Syria action
- Iraq vet Rep. Duckworth opposes Syria intervention
- Sweet: Kirk gets briefing on Syria
Related Stories
- ‘High confidence’ Syria carried out chemical attacks, Kerry says
- US finds itself with only 1 Syria partner: France
- 30 years of US military attacks on other nations
- NATO chief: No plans for alliance action in Syria
- Bible prophecy links Damascus destruction, Second Coming, some say
- Inconsistent allies: France, US mull Syria action
Updated: August 31, 2013 11:50AM
WASHINGTON — President Barack Obama says he has not made a final decision about a military strike against Syria. But he says he is considering a limited and narrow action in response to a chemical weapons attack that he says Syria’s government carried out last week.
Obama says that attack was a challenge to the world and threatens U.S. national security.
Obama says he recognizes the world and the U.S. are war-weary in the face of potential military action against Syria.
But he says the United States has an obligation “as a leader in the world” to hold countries accountable if they violate international norms.
Regarding the U.N., Obama says, “there is an incapacity for the Security Council to move forward.”
Despite a vote in Britain against taking action in Syria, Obama indicates that France is with him.
Obama’s comment came after the U.S. released an intelligence assessment that found with “high confidence” that Syrian President Bashar Assad’s government carried out a chemical weapons attack last week.
The U.S. says the attack killed more than 1,400 people.
Obama spoke before meeting at the White House with three Baltic leaders.
