suntimes
CALM 
Weather Updates

Minnesota toddler hospitalized after eating detergent

FARGO, N.D. (AP) — A 1-year-old Minnesota boy who was poisoned when he bit into a Tide detergent pod is improving at a North Dakota hospital.

Alexander Rohde from Hitterdal, Minn., was flown to Sanford’s Pediatric Intensive Care Unit in Fargo last weekend.

KVLY-TV reports that he’s now breathing on his own.

An aunt posted to an online site that Alex was taken off the breathing tubes on Friday morning and “being a little feisty” but that’s OK.

Family members say he thought the pod was a treat. He started throwing up and soon could not breathe.

Alex’s mother, Michelle Klienschmidt, earlier told KVLY that Tide should change the look of its pod. The company said in a statement it’s working to educate people on keeping them out of the reach of children.



© 2014 Sun-Times Media, LLC. All rights reserved. This material may not be copied or distributed without permission. For more information about reprints and permissions, visit www.suntimesreprints.com. To order a reprint of this article, click here.