suntimes
UNLIKELY

Dixon to recoup $40 million after Crundwell thefts

Maps

DIXON, Ill. (AP) — The city of Dixon will recoup about $40 million of the $53 million in public money stolen by former comptroller Rita Crundwell.

Dixon Mayor Jim Burke said Wednesday that the city has settled a lawsuit with auditors and a bank in connection with Crundwell’s thefts. Crundwell is serving nearly 20 years in federal prison. Authorities say she stole the money over more than 20 years, spending it on a lavish lifestyle and horse-breeding operation.

Burke says the settlement is for $40 million. Federal officials have raised about $10 million so far selling Crundwell’s belongings. That means $50 million for the city, minus $10 million in expenses, or about $40 million in restitution.

The city’s attorneys say both sides have agreed to the settlement, which is pending approval by a judge.





© 2013 Sun-Times Media, LLC. All rights reserved. This material may not be copied or distributed without permission. For more information about reprints and permissions, visit www.suntimesreprints.com. To order a reprint of this article, click here.