Boston suspects’ father postpones trip to US
By ARSEN MOLLAYEV Associated Press April 28, 2013 1:38PM
The father of the two Boston bombing suspects, Anzor Tsarnaev speaks at a news conference in Makhachkala, the southern Russian province of Dagestan, Thursday, April 25, 2013. The father of the two Boston bombing suspects said Thursday that he is leaving Russia for the United States in the next day or two, but their mother said she was still thinking it over. (AP Photo/Musa Sadulayev)
Updated: April 28, 2013 1:39PM
MAKHACHKALA, Russia (AP) — The father of the two Boston bombing suspects said Sunday that he has postponed a trip from Russia to the United States because of poor health.
“I am really sick,” Anzor Tsarnaev, 46, told The Associated Press. He said his blood pressure had spiked to dangerous levels.
Tsarnaev said at a news conference Thursday that he planned to leave that day or the next for the U.S. with the hope of seeing his younger son, who is under arrest, and burying his elder son, who was killed. His family, however, indicated later Thursday that the trip could be pushed back because he was not feeling well.
Tsarnaev confirmed on Sunday that he is staying in Chechnya, a province in southern Russia, but did not specify whether he was hospitalized. He is an ethnic Chechen and has relatives in Chechnya, although he and his family spent little time in Chechnya or anywhere else in Russia before moving to the U.S. a decade ago.
He and the suspects’ mother, Zubeidat Tsarnaeva, returned to Russia last year and settled in Makhachkala, the capital of neighboring Dagestan, where Tsarnaeva’s relatives live.
During the past week, they were both questioned extensively by U.S. investigators who had traveled to Makhachkala from Moscow. They also were besieged by journalists who staked out their home.
Tsarnaev’s family said last week that he intended to get to the U.S. by flying from Grozny, the Chechen capital, to Moscow. He and Tsarnaeva left Dagestan on Friday, but their whereabouts were unclear.