Man asks court to toss 1979 NYC child-killing case
April 17, 2013 5:54PM
NEW YORK (AP) — A man who confessed to killing a long-missing New York City boy is asking a judge to throw out the murder case against him. His lawyer says the confession was false and there’s not enough evidence to support it.
The dismissal request was filed Wednesday in one of the nation’s most notorious child disappearances. Six-year-old Etan Patz vanished en route to school in May 1979.
Maple Shade, N.J., resident Pedro Hernandez was arrested last year after police got a tip. He later told authorities he’d choked Etan, boxed his limp body and left it with trash.
Defense lawyer Harvey Fishbein has said Hernandez is mentally ill. Fishbein says in Tuesday’s court papers Hernandez’ confession included questionable claims.
Prosecutors have said there’s sufficient evidence to support the charges.