suntimes
SLIDING 
Weather Updates

Dog’s barking helps couple escape from Indiana house fire

Updated: April 1, 2013 11:16AM



ELLETTSVILLE, Ind. — A southern Indiana couple says their dog helped them escape unharmed from a house fire that was apparently sparked by a backyard grill.

The couple says their 7-year-old labradoodle, Macy, began barking Sunday afternoon just before they heard a loud roar. They fled their rented home in Ellettsville with the canine.

The home’s owner, Lou Shelton, said the dog may have smelled gas leaking from a propane tank on the grill.

Ellettsville Fire Chief Jim Davis says the fire that destroyed the home about 45 miles southwest of Indianapolis appears to have started at a propane cylinder and barbecue grill behind the home. He says the residents had recently used the grill and were storing another propane cylinder in a nearby shed.



© 2014 Sun-Times Media, LLC. All rights reserved. This material may not be copied or distributed without permission. For more information about reprints and permissions, visit www.suntimesreprints.com. To order a reprint of this article, click here.