HARRISON TOWNSHIP, Mich. — Authorities say an explosion and fire that injured several people in a Macomb County apartment was caused by a propane torch being used to extract a compound from marijuana.
The Detroit News and Detroit Free Press report Monday that while someone was trying to remove THC, a psychoactive compound, from marijuana plants in the kitchen, gases were ignited which caused the explosion Sunday.
Four people were injured inside the unit at the Beachwood apartments in Harrison Township, northeast of Detroit. Macomb County Sheriff Anthony Wickersham says no charges have yet been filed.
Harrison Township Fire Chief Mike Lopez says damage was estimated at $500,000 and the building was knocked off its foundation by the blast.
The Red Cross is assisting about two dozen people who lived in the building.