suntimes
ALOOF 
Weather Updates

Judge: Fort Hood suspect will be barred from courtroom if doesn’t shave beard

FORT WORTH, Texas (AP) — A military judge says the Army psychiatrist charged in the deadly 2009 Fort Hood shooting rampage will watch his next hearing on closed-circuit television if he hasn’t shaved his new beard.

Maj. Nidal Hasan’s hearing was rescheduled for Tuesday after being delayed earlier this month when he appeared in court wearing the beard he’s grown in jail. Military officials aren’t saying if he’s since shaved. Growing a beard is a violation of Army regulations.

Hasan’s attorneys have said they’d seek an exception to the Army’s rule on religious grounds. Hasan is Muslim.

The judge, Col. Gregory Gross, is to consider several motions Tuesday, including whether to delay Hasan’s trial from August until December.

Hasan faces the death penalty if convicted in the shooting killed 13 on the Texas Army post.



© 2014 Sun-Times Media, LLC. All rights reserved. This material may not be copied or distributed without permission. For more information about reprints and permissions, visit www.suntimesreprints.com. To order a reprint of this article, click here.