suntimes
A-OK 
Weather Updates

U.S. no-fly list doubles in last year

A Chicago police officer waits for assistance after being involved an accident LaSalle DivisiThursday February 2 2012. Ernie Torres~Sun-Times

A Chicago police officer waits for assistance after being involved in an accident at LaSalle and Division Thursday, February 2, 2012. Ernie Torres~Sun-Times

storyidforme: 25130622
tmspicid: 9184643
fileheaderid: 4192377

Updated: March 4, 2012 8:11AM



A U.S. counterterrorism official says the government’s list of suspected terrorists who are banned from flying to and within the U.S. has doubled in the past year.

The no-fly list has swelled from 10,000 to 21,000 names over the past year. The official says much of the increase is due to changes President Barack Obama called for after an attempted terror attack on Christmas 2009.

The official says that at the time, a person had to be considered a threat to aviation to be placed on the list. But now a person can be on the list if he or she is also considered a threat to domestic or international security or has attended a terror training camp.

The official spoke on condition of anonymity to discuss sensitive security matters. AP



© 2014 Sun-Times Media, LLC. All rights reserved. This material may not be copied or distributed without permission. For more information about reprints and permissions, visit www.suntimesreprints.com. To order a reprint of this article, click here.