suntimes
BUMPY 
Weather Updates

Two Fenger coaches removed after boy attacked

Updated: November 15, 2011 12:39PM

Two Fenger Academy High School football coaches were removed from their positions while Chicago Public Schools officials investigate their possible involvement in a Saturday attack of a boy on the South Side, officials said.

The victim told police he was attacked about 12:35 p.m. near South Wentworth and West 118th, Police News Affairs Officer Ronald Gaines said. He told police he lost a tooth in the assault, officials said.

The boy’s mother told WBBM-Channel 2 her son was attacked by several youths after coaches allegedly drove the group to their home.

“I saw my son,” the mother told Channel 2. “He was bloody, shirt all ripped. I’m hollering, ‘What’s the matter? What’s going on?’ ”

The family told the station the teen’s prosthetic eye was knocked out of its socket during the attack. The mother also said she injured her arm trying to help her son.

She said the attack was over missing flip-flops.

A source told the Sun-Times the coaches told administrators that at least one coach went to the home to recover an MP3 player and other items taken from a player by the boy and his friends.

“CPS takes allegations of misconduct by its employees very seriously,” according to a CPS statement from spokeswoman Marielle Sainvilus. “When the matter came to our attention [Monday morning], investigators were immediately assigned to conduct interviews and this afternoon, CPS decided to remove the coaches from their positions pending the completion of the investigation.”

© 2014 Sun-Times Media, LLC. All rights reserved. This material may not be copied or distributed without permission. For more information about reprints and permissions, visit www.suntimesreprints.com. To order a reprint of this article, click here.