Woman dies after injecting hot beef fat into her face
BY BEN MEYER-ABBOTT and ROSEMARY SOBOL Staff Reporters September 9, 2011 11:31AM
Updated: November 9, 2011 2:20PM
A Homewood woman died Thursday shortly after injecting heated beef fat into her face, but the injection did not cause her death, authorities said.
An autopsy Friday determined that 63-year-old Janet Hardt died of peritonitis, a severe abdominal inflammation caused by a bacterial infection, according to the Cook County medical examiner’s office.
Infections in her face from the injections did not lead to her death, which was ruled natural, officials with the medical examiner’s office said.
Family members told authorities Hardt had undergone multiple cosmetic surgeries to her face and neck. A short time before she died, she injected the heated beef fat into her face around her mouth and chin. Authorities said she apparently performed the procedure on several occasions in an attempt to simulate Botox, which reduces wrinkling.
Hardt had infections in her mouth and lip as well as scarring from the injections, sources said.
On Thursday, Hardt went to the hospital after complaining that her face felt like it was burning, sources said.