suntimes
ANNOYING 
Weather Updates

Judge: Conrad Black sentencing to go on as scheduled in June

Conrad Black

Conrad Black

storyidforme: 11915540
tmspicid: 3893608
fileheaderid: 2070763
Article Extras
Story Image

With the U.S. Supreme Court so far not intervening, the resentencing of onetime media baron Conrad Black will take place, as scheduled, on June 24, a judge in Chicago said Monday.

Black is to be sentenced on his 2007 conviction for fraud and obstruction of justice involving his handling of money as owner of the Chicago Sun-Times’ former parent company.

Black had served two years of a 6 1/2-year prison term for defrauding investors in Hollinger International before he was freed on bail in June after a landmark Supreme Court decision. The high court sent the case back to the U.S. 7th Circuit Court of Appeals, which upheld Black’s conviction on two charges.

Black, who was in court on Monday, is appealing that ruling to the Supreme Court.

On his way out of the federal courthouse, Black was asked if he expected to stop by the trial of former Gov. Rod Blagojevich, whose corruption case was being heard in the same courthouse. Black smiled and said, “No, no, I do not.”



© 2014 Sun-Times Media, LLC. All rights reserved. This material may not be copied or distributed without permission. For more information about reprints and permissions, visit www.suntimesreprints.com. To order a reprint of this article, click here.