suntimes
SURGE 
Weather Updates

Two hospitalized for suspected Haff disease after eating Buffalo fish from Niles market

Updated: March 6, 2014 6:58AM



After two people fell ill from eating buffalo fish purchased from a store in suburban Niles, state health officials sent out an alert warning anyone who may have purchased the fish from the same shop not to eat it.

Two people who bought the fish from Fresh Farms International Market, 5740 W. Touhy Ave., were hospitalized for suspected cases of Haff disease. The disease causes swelling and breakdown of skeletal muscle thought to be caused by a toxin sometimes found in buffalo fish in the Mississippi River.

“Symptoms of Haff disease generally appear within six to 21 hours after eating fish and commonly include severe muscle pain, stiffness and brown urine. Acute kidney failure may also be a complication. Symptoms typically resolve within two to three days and cases are rarely fatal,” according to the Illinois Department of Public Health.

“If you have purchased this fish, do not eat it. If you have eaten it and are feeling ill, contact a health care provider right away,” the release stated.

Mitch Dudek



© 2014 Sun-Times Media, LLC. All rights reserved. This material may not be copied or distributed without permission. For more information about reprints and permissions, visit www.suntimesreprints.com. To order a reprint of this article, click here.