Two critically wounded, airlifted to hospital after Aurora motel fire
BY GEORGE SLEFO AND ASHLEE REZIN Staff Reporter January 11, 2014 11:50AM
Two people were critically injured Friday evening after a fire broke out at a motel in west suburban Aurora.
Firefighters responded to the blaze about 7:30 p.m. at a six-unit motel in the 1000 block of East Benton Street, Aurora Fire Lt. Craig Mateski said.
The fire started in a first floor room of the building, Mateski said. While searching the room, firefighters found two injured males who suffered smoke inhalation and were taken in critical condition to Rush Copley Medical Center in Aurora.
The victim, whose ages were not immediately known, were airlifted early Saturday from Rush Copley to Loyola Medical Center in Maywood, Mateski said.
The smoke detector in the room was not working and the fire was likely caused by the in-unit wall heater, Mateski said.
The fire did not spread to any of the motel’s other rooms, Mateski said, and the motel’s owner found new rooms for six other occupants, who were not injured, at another hotel in Aurora.
Motel damages from the blaze are estimated at $50,000, Mateski said.
The fire is under investigation by the Aurora Fire Department Arson Team.