suntimes
SPARKLE 
Weather Updates

7-month-old girl dies in West Side apartment

Apartment building 3700 block West 13th Street where 7-month-old girl was pronounced dead after she was found unresponsive snowsuit wrapped

Apartment building in the 3700 block of West 13th Street, where a 7-month-old girl was pronounced dead after she was found unresponsive in a snowsuit wrapped in blankets while in a car seat in an apartment. Sun-Times by Tina Sfondeles.

storyidforme: 59145721
tmspicid: 21512976
fileheaderid: 10138731

Updated: December 12, 2013 8:30AM

A 7-month-old baby who was bundled in a snowsuit, wrapped in a blanket and lying in a carseat, was found unresponsive Wednesday in a West Side apartment by a neighbor after the infant’s older sister went next door to ask for food. The baby was pronounced dead at Mount Sinai Hospital a short time later.

The girl, identified by the Cook County medical examiner’s office as Lamya Hampton, was discovered with her older sisters, ages 2 and 6, at their apartment in Lawndale.

No adults were home when the neighbor found the baby at about 3:37 p.m.

Police could not say if the apartment, in the 3700 block of West 13th, was heated.

Detectives were interviewing the mother Wednesday night, but a police spokesman could provide no additional information.

The two sisters appeared unharmed but were taken to the hospital for a checkup.

Tyisha Kinsey, who lives across the street and knows the girls’ mother, watched as an ambulance brought the baby outside.

“She’s a good person. I really can’t understand how this happened. That’s why it’s so sad. God. She took care of those kids. I never seen her neglect them or anything,” said Kinsey, 27.

“But I don’t know if she left them alone or what. That’s the big part I don’t understand,” said Kinsey, who noted that the father of the infant was always around.

Contributing: Reema Amin

© 2014 Sun-Times Media, LLC. All rights reserved. This material may not be copied or distributed without permission. For more information about reprints and permissions, visit www.suntimesreprints.com. To order a reprint of this article, click here.